The National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) is the nation’s leading voice for respect, recognition and labor standards for domestic workers. Through leadership development, strategic campaigns and alliance building, we are building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents over 60 affiliates in more than 30 cities. Since then, NDWA’s staff leadership has played key roles in national intersectional movements centering women’s rights, immigrant rights, and racial justice. In the last several years, the organization and its members have appeared in a wide variety of media outlets including the New York Times, the Washington Post, Buzzfeed, Vox, InStyle, and many others.
NDWA seeks an experienced Design Director to develop all aspects of our organizational design portfolio including digital and print graphic design, photography, videography, branding and visual storytelling. A successful candidate will be an innovative thinker and problem solver who is passionate about utilizing design to amplify the stories, experiences, and leadership of women of color. The Design Director will be part of the communications team, working together to shift stereotypes and perceptions of domestic workers and offer compelling humanizing and intersectional narratives to tell a new story of labor, gender, and race/ethnicity in our country. The Design Director will report to NDWA’s Communications Director.
- Lead artistic concepts and strategy that translates our core narrative and brand into design.
- Integrate design into all organizational campaigns and programs.
- Maintain brand consistency across all deliverables, including maintaining a style guide that reflects our organizational narrative and brings our values to new and existing materials.
- Recruit and supervise design staff and manage creative freelancers, leading the creative strategy for the design team.
- Direct and produce a wide range of print and digital materials including: social and digital media; organizational websites and microsites; banners, posters and other materials for field campaigns and events; print and digital reports, as well as other assets as needed.
- Be an active member of the larger communications team and organization, consistently working across teams to to develop, implement and improve overarching design process and strategic tools to strengthen our design strategy.
- Participate in regular NDWA activities, like staff meetings and retreats, and other duties as needed.
- Extensive experience in Adobe Creative Suite and Canva
- 4+ years experience as a professional graphic designer
- Experience managing creative consultants or project teams
- Dedication to brand consistency and quality across all channels
- Nimble work attitude, including ability to engage in rapid response and juggle multiple projects when needed
- Balance attention to detail with long-term planning
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color and demonstrated commitment to racial, economic and gender justice, especially for women of color
- A passion for shifting perceptions and increasing visibility of domestic workers through design
- Interest in growing a burgeoning design team that includes creative freelancers and organizational staff
- Experience in photography and/or videography a plus
- Ability to travel 25% of the time
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and design portfolio to https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=16. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.
People who identify as women, Black, people of color, people living with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ are strongly urged to apply.