The National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor protections. We work to raise standards and guarantee labor rights and protections for domestic workers by waging legislative and administrative policies at the municipal, state and federal level and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social justice. NDWA formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 60+ affiliates, chapters and individual workers across the country.
NDWA’s organizing and communications strategies are supported and enhanced by our policy team. The Government Relations Manager will be primarily responsible for supporting the execution of our policy strategies, including cultivating and deepening relationships with key policymakers and elected officials and representing the organization in key coalitions and events. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Assist in legislative and administrative efforts at the federal level with government representatives, federal agencies and others, including coordinating relevant meetings.
- Research for and draft internal briefs and summary materials to inform NDWA staff, affiliates and members on key government officials, agencies, and others.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key electeds and public officials and their staffs.
- Attend selected meetings, briefings and policy forums, as requested.
- Attend regular national coalitions and partnerships meetings in DC and report back relevant information.
- Work collaboratively with NDWA team to advance political program and policy agenda, in particular communications, organizing and political staff.
- Other administrative and other duties as assigned by Political Director.
- 2-4 years of experience in public policy at the federal, state or local level.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial justice, gender equity and worker rights.
- Experience working with impacted community members and grassroots organizations.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with coalitions, policy makers and community members.
- Ability to organize time, manage up, work independently, as well as follow direction, collaborate, coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively research and analyze data in a clear format.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and one short writing sample to: email@example.com with “Government Relations Manager” in the subject. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people are strongly urged to apply.