The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. Through leadership development, strategic campaigns and alliance building, we seek to help build a powerful movement for social and global justice.
We work to guarantee labor protections for domestic workers by winning legislation at the state level, pushing for regulatory changes at the national level, through the International Labor Organization at the global level, and elevating domestic workers as key leaders in building a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 60+ affiliates across the country.
NDWA recognizes the role that administration and organizational infrastructure building plays in supporting a healthy organizational ecology, and we are seeking a Receptionist to join our team. The Receptionist will serve as an integral part of the staff and will provide in-office administrative and logistical support to the NDWA national office and Administrative team. This position will primarily be responsible for: 1) supporting onsite management of NDWA’s national office located in NYC, and 2) performing general administrative duties.
- Providing day to day administrative support to the NY office, including:
- Greeting visitors and notifying staff of their arrival;
- Maintaining office security systems;
- Answering the NDWA main phone line and responding to general inquiry emails;
- Opening and processing mail and packages;
- Facilitating shipments to staff, members and affiliates;
- Maintaining and replenishing inventories of office, kitchen and cleaning supplies;
- Maintaining the conference room booking schedules and providing logistical support for on-site meetings;
- Troubleshooting basic technical issues related to the wifi, phone system and copier; and
- Fostering a clean and welcoming environment for staff and visitors.
- Participate in organizational meetings and retreats as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent relational skills: someone who is friendly, diplomatic, patient, and who has a pleasant disposition;
- Experience in managing multiple projects and tasks and working in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively;
Skilled proficiency with technology and computer operations and programs, specifically:
- Macbooks and Apple products;
- Excellent attention to detail and well organized;
- Self motivated and a proven ability to work both independently and in partnership with different teams and staff members;
- Experience working in a customer service or front desk capacity preferred;
- Agreement and alignment with NDWA’s vision and values;
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color;
- Bilingual English/Spanish speaker strongly preferred.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via this link. This position will remain open until filled.
Note: The NDWA offices will be closed from December 22, 2018 to January 6, 2019. Interviews will start the 2nd week of January. We will start reaching out to schedule interviews in December, but you may not hear back from us until we return in January.